Monday, January 8, 2007

THE SAKE OF WANT

Dear Spike:

I’m not worried.

I keep telling your mother that. I wonder if she believes me. I wonder if I believe me.

We went out to the movies last night. I kept looking over to see if she was paying much attention to the show. She kept looking over to see if I was. And so it goes. And so it will until Wednesday, when we get your pictures.

Everyone keeps telling us not to be nervous. “I had a friend who had a screen test like this,” they say. “It happens a lot,” they say.

I keep thinking about the odds. Like drawing the Ace of Spaces from a deck of cards, I tell myself.

I’ve got a deck here in the drawer of my desk. I shuffled through it three times. Queen of hearts. Eight of clubs. Seven of diamonds.

Everything will be OK. The odds are on our side.

I do realize that someone has to draw the Ace. And I feel guilty hoping it isn’t us, because that means I’m hoping for someone else’s pain. But so it goes.

For the most part, I’m being honest when I tell your mother I’m not worried. I do think about it, but I don’t brood. And other than the fact that I kept looking over at your mom last night, I was watching the show.

I am confident that things will turn out fine for us. And so more than anything, I’d simply like to get this chapter of our pregnancy behind us.

Turns out, though, that times runs no faster or slower for the sake of want. You’ll learn that when someone you love is leaving and you want your final days together to go on forever. You’ll learn that when you have to be away from your family for work, and you want the days to move more swiftly. And so it goes.

Two more days. Two more nights. Then we’ll know you’re fine. And then we’ll move onto another worry.

Four of diamonds. Eight of spades. Three of spades.

So it goes.

Love,
dad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not even going to say that I THINK it will be okay; I KNOW it will be okay. I am completely calm and resolute in saying that. I know it is going to be okay, and I am a little bit psychic, a trait I got from my grandmother who was a witch. Everything is going to be okay, and Spike is a girl.

Anonymous said...

I've been bad about keeping up on blogs lately but chose tonight to drop by yours. Your writing is so sincere and personal that I almost feel like I'm intruding. Spike truly has a great family waiting for him or her.

You, your wife and Spike are in our prayers too.

Health and peace in 2007

Anonymous said...

P.S. If Carole is right about the sex you're going to love having a girl.

Anonymous said...

i was really nervous about my test for that too! man was that stressful! the risk for down syndrome went up for our baby but i decided that i was not interested in undergoing amnio in order to find out for sure.
i don't think an ultrasound alone is capable of saying yay or nay for down syndrome or trisomy 18 tho.