Thursday, March 22, 2007

1952ISH KIND OF KID

Dear Spike:

A few months back I learned that children today are potty training, on average, more than a year later than they were in the 1950s.

It knocked me off my chair.

A little perspective: In the 1960s we sent a man to the moon. In the 70s we created a baby in a test tube. In the 80s we learned how to read human DNA so exactingly that it could be used as evidence in a criminal trial. And in the 90s we revolutionized communication through the internet.

Yet in all the years that have passed since the decade in which the polio vaccine was created, we never figured out how to help kids get our of diapers faster?

Wow.

My incredulity sparked a conversation with your mother about what we would do to help you be a 1952ish kind of kid. That, combined with our 2007ish devotion to making sure you have a planet to live on and my own 1929ish frugalness led us to the decision to raise you in cloth diapers (which, we’ve concluded, promote earlier potty training, are more environmentally friendly and are cheaper than disposable nappies).

Sure, we figured, cloth would be a bigger hassle. But with doorstep pickup diaper services available to do the laundry, we’d manage.

Except for one thing: The only diaper service in Utah just went out of business.

I know, I know: It’s Utah, right? Land’o’baby. The place where you can have 10 kids and still be the smallest family on the block.

It doesn’t make any sense, I know, but it’s true. Want to ‘go cloth’ in Zion? You’ve gotta wash it yourself.

There are many times in life that you are going to find your determination to live out your values stretched thin by your desire to do what’s easiest on your time, patience and pocketbook.

Shortly after we moved into our first home, for instance, your mother and I took an afternoon off to price compare at three grocery centers: a natural foods store, a chain store near our home and a Super Wal-Mart on the west side of town.

The bottom line quickly became the bottom line: Groceries at Wal-Mart were a third cheaper than at the local chain store. And to shop at the natural foods store, we decided, we’d have to take out a second mortgage on the house.

While not fans of Wal-Mart’s business and labor practices, we swallowed our disdain and did our twice-monthly shopping sprees there.

Ultimately, life changed a bit. I got a raise at work and your mother and I both grew ill at the thought of repeatedly returning to the enormous, crowded, soulless edifice that is Wal-Mart. We still can’t afford to shop at the natural foods store — as likely would be our preference if money was no object — but we’ve found a bit of a balance: We take regular walks to the neighborhood chain store to pick up our groceries. And we don’t so much as drive past the Wal-Mart anymore.

At the same time, we don’t judge people who choose to shop at mega stores. For one thing, I’m not sold on the idea that the comparative evil of Wal-Mart is all that much worse than the chain we now shop at (or even the expensive natural foods store down the road, for that matter.) And moreover, I know that for some people, the bottom line is the bottom line. We’ve been there, after all.

In this world, those who follow good intentions into oblivion (“I’d let my children starve before I shopped at Wal-Mart”) are called lunatics. Those who only follow their self interests and selfish desires (“So what if my Hummer only gets 10 miles per gallon? It looks so cool!) are called assholes.

As in all things, balance in key — though when you err, my dear, I’d prefer you do so on the side of being a lunatic.

Which brings me back to the nappies: We’ve decided to forge ahead with cloth, but with an emergency supply of disposals on hand, just in case.

That’s the right balance for us, for now.

Love,
dad

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you wash your own cloth diapers, you can get much nicer ones than you'd get form a diaper service. Fitted ones, all-in-ones, pockets... it is truly magnificent. But even here in Los Angeles, we keep a backup supply of paper diapers. (Also popular in my house: gDiapers, which have flushable/compostable inserts. I use diaper service style prefolds in them.)

Anonymous said...

Some of our favorites:
- BumGenius All in One (not the Onesize)
- VeryBaby All in Ones

with a supply of old fashioned prefolds on hand, too.

Carole said...

My mother often regales with tall tales of how, with my eldest brother, she would have to rinse his dirty cloth diapers in the toilet, wash them, BY HAND, in bleach water with an old-fashioned washboard, and then hang them out to dry on the clothesline since they had no washer and dryer. Right after she walked ten miles to school barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways, right?

Kids today, we have it too easy. Kudos to you for doing the environmentally friendly thing. With Michael around I'm not showering much these days, so I guess that's my contribution. You're welcome, Earth.

Anonymous said...

This very old-fashioned grandma is very proud of your decision. Aside from the environmental issue, and the earlier potty training, cloth-diapered-bottoms are just so very cute! Believe it or not, I had the unfolded single layer diapers that I folded to fit. I actually enjoyed folding and stacking them!
Grandma L

Liz Martin said...

I am bummed to hear about the end of Imperial Diaper Service - they were like another family member when my kiddoes were in diapers...but I'll also never forget the joy in dropping off the last collection of strays at the end. They asked when they would be lucky enough to serve me again, and I laughed out loud as I responded..."never if I can help it!" (We had decided we wouldn't be able to handle it if the little ones outnumbered us!)

Your blog is wonderful - I decided to start at the beginning; I'm barely out of December... ;-)

Brooke said...

Sounds like your own a budget. You should try cloth. I wash mine in my washing machine from like 1970, so I am sure yours can handle diapers as well. You can also get diapers at babybestbuy.com their nylon covers work awesome and you only really need two, one to wash and one for the baby to wear, they only get dirty when the baby has a huge poo and then it can just be washed in the sink and hung to dry. Their diapers aren't that great, but I use them and they work ok.

Anonymous said...

Let me err on the side of a$$hole and say...good luck with the cloth diapers. You are a better man than I. I can handle a great many things and I have handled a great many things, but if there is one thing I can't stand it's handling the feces of another human being.

Sure it's kind of cute for the first couple weeks when the poo-poos are tar based and there is not much of a smell to them. Then they turn mustard yellow with the consistency of fresh diarrhea. It only gets worse from there. As the all breast milk diet gives way to the introduction of various pureed food you are greeted each day with a kalidescope of color, texture and excruciating smells.

I can't imagine the delight of getting the chance, no, the opportunity to revisit this gift that keeps on giving when it's time to wash the diaper. And because I know you both lead busy lives, Mr. superman reporter and beautiful school teacher, many of these delightful treasures will have the time they need to fully develop and ripen. If there is one thing I know, it's that the only thing worse than a stinky dump filled diaper, is a day old stinky dump filled diaper.

So, tonight when unfurl my son's latest treat from his non-biodegradable disposable diaper , wipe his tiny butt and place the diaper in an airtight safeway grocery sack and tie it in a knot, I will think of you. And I will know that you are a better man than I.

Anonymous said...

One of my good friends went with cloth. She got a diaper service for the first month, but then did it herself. What made it handy is that the diaper service let her keep the pail, so she would just take 'em and wash 'em. I know one other person recently who used cloth and both of her babies were potty-trained before they were a year old! Because disposables make it too easy (and I think they also promote bedwetting well past the years when kids are out of diapers).

I have another friend who said she'd use cloth and gave up immediately for ease and convenience, and I must admit it pisses me off. Our world is too important not to be willing to wash some poopy diapers. Some things are more important than convenience and saving the planet (have you seen a landfill lately? DIAPERS everywhere) and having kids who learn to potty like a big kid are among them.

I will now step off my soapbox. But I'm willing to get back on if you need motivation!! ;)

Cloth diapers in utah said...

I have tested over 100 different types of cloth diapers on my 16 month old. Washing them really is no big deal. I have it down to an 18 minutes per week (yes, per week!) routine. You can read about my wash routine and more cloth diaper info at http://www.littlefornow.com. You can read some of my cloth diaper reviews at http://www.clothdiaperreviews.com. Also, if you are interested in looking at your choices, I am in the South Valley area of Salt Lake County and I am always happy to show people what is in stock. We have all the big brands and many great, lesser known brands as well.