Sunday, July 1, 2007

SLOWS THINGS DOWN

Dear Spike:

You slept most of the way from Utah to Oregon, waking only when you needed food or wanted to be changed. Instead of the "trip from hell" we were told to expect from those who didn't think that "Spike Tour 2007" was such a wonderful idea, it has been a joy traveling with you.

Normally, when I drive long distances, the object is to get from Point A to Point B in the fastest way possible. Traveling with a baby slows things down, of course. And maybe that's why so many people thought we were crazy to take you on such a long trip.

But rather than being frustrated with the slower pace, I've found it quite rewarding. Our frequent stops have allowed me to let go of the stresses of the road. And when we're on the move, I feel like I'm seeing more of the world we're passing through.

We live in a fast world, growing ever faster every day.

But sometimes slower is better. It has been this trip.

Love,
dad

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great seeing you on Saturday! Spike is beautiful and you and Heidi are amazing parents. Have a safe (and slow!) trip to California and home to Utah.

Nicki

Anonymous said...

I love you guys! You have the most beautiful daughter. I am so proud of you both. Thank you for making "my day" perfect by being their with Mia. Drive safely. Love, Katie.

imagoii said...

Thanks for giving those of us planning to travel with infants a ray of hope that it might not be the disaster others foresee! Glad yours went well!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the magical, sleep-inducing car ride. If you make your way to the Oregon Coast, give us a buzz!

Anonymous said...

I absolutley love your letters. they are amazing. I just wish all dads could put into words what you have here and could express them freely! Your daughter is beautiful, may she grow to see the love you truley have for her.