Monday, August 6, 2007

SO WE WAIT

Dear Spike:

I’ll make camp tonight on a cliffside in the Uinta Mountains, overlooking a freeway on which a small army of reporters has surrounded the entrance to Crandall Canyon.

We’re all waiting for word on six men who were trapped when the coal mine they were in collapsed early this morning. It’s been more than 16 hours now with no word from the miners. The mine owner says it may be three days before rescuers can get to where the men are trapped.

And so we wait.

I’ve only just begun to understand how fathers feel about their children. Many of the men trapped in this mountain are fathers. All of them have fathers.

I cannot imagine the depth of their fear, longing and dread this evening.

I’ll miss you tonight. And I will think of you all night long.

Love,
dad

1 comment:

Brandy said...

What a horrible situation. I'm praying for all of the miners and their families. I'm coming from the perspective of a mother but I have a son (not much older than Spike) and I can't begin to imagine the heartache of those parents right now.