Wednesday, August 20, 2008

SORT OF WELCOME

Dear Spike:

It was hard to tell in the midnight shadows of your bedroom, but as I peeked over the side of your crib, it seemed as though you might have grown several inches and several pounds in the short time that I was away.

I reached down and gently stroked your leg. For a moment, I thought about waking you, hoping that you might look up at me and smile, but I thought better of it. I knew you were just as likely to scream as smile. And I don't think I could have taken that sort of welcome.

So I stood there, for a bit, and watched your chest heave up and down and up and down. I listened to you snore. I waited for your dreamy sigh. Then I slipped away.

God, how I missed you.

Love,
dad

4 comments:

Traci said...

Hey! Welcome back Spike's dad. Tell us about your Cuba adventure.

Shanda Mattsson said...

Glad you're back! I was thinking of Heidi and Mia a lot and kinda worried about the break in and stuff.

Leann said...

Welcome back!

Cheryl said...

So glad you are back home safe & sound. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

I can relate to how hard it is to let them sleep when you've been gone for awhile. I feel the same way and my kids are much older.