Friday, September 25, 2009

ON A DATE

Dear Spike:

It was an evening I'll never forget.

I was just finishing up my work for the day when you walked into the room with a suggestion.

"Daddy, you want to go to a movie with me?"

"Watch a movie? Sure, tonight we can do that."

"No," you said resolutely. "Not watch a movie. Go to a movie with me."

I don't know where you got that idea, but I liked it. I liked it a lot. I hopped online to see what was playing — and was pleased to see that Hayao Miyazaki's latest film, "Ponyo," was playing at the small theater just down the street from our home.

An idea began to take shape.

"Would you like to go on a date with me?" I asked.

"Yes please!" you replied.

And our adventure began.

First, we decided, we needed to dress up.

You chose your brown velvet dress, silver beaded necklace and cranberry shoes.

"You look fancy," I said.

"Thank you," you relied.

I put on a suit, my panda bear tie and a fedora.

"You look dapper," you told me.

"Thank you," I replied.

And with that, we set out on our date.

Our first stop was the candy store. You chose a pineapple chocolate and I picked out a mint. As usual, the lady behind the counter let you choose a sucker from the box.

"Yellow!" you decided.

Then we went to the coffee shop for a pre-movie drink. You got a banana-chocolate mlk with whipped cream.

And then we headed next door, bought our tickets, and walked into the nearly empty theater to watch our show.

You loved it. I was just confused. And by the end, we were both hungry — so we walked across the street to get some Lebanese food.

We ordered a sampler platter and a orange blossom limeaid and chatted about the film. After you had explained it to me, I wasn't so confused anymore.

When we were done, you asked for the bill.

"Check please!" you said when the waitress came near.

She brought it to you and then stood there waiting to see what you'd do with it.

"Here you go, daddy," you finally said, handing me the bill.

I'd been hoping to go Dutch, but I really didn't mind paying for such great company. I signed the bill and lifted you from your seat. And when we walked out, I took note of all the other tables and was proud to recognize that I had the prettiest date of anyone in the room.

We walked home together, hand-in-hand.

And I was the happiest guy in the world.

Love,
dad

8 comments:

Kirsty said...

What a wonderful date - I'd love to see some pictures of you both in your finest date outfits. Kirsty from babyderoach.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

This is fantastic. (I can't imagine Spike slept much that night after such an adventure and so many treats.)

Marisa said...

This is SO sweet! I'm sure you both will treasure this memory for years to come.

erin said...

that is the most adorable thing I have ever read. you are one fortunate guy. so happy to see you emjoying every moment.

Carole said...

So sweet! I can picture it all. I hope you continue to take Spike on dates for many years. My dad and I used to do this when I was a kid and I think it teaches a girl how a man should always treat her.

Unknown said...

Your daughter seriously has the word "dapper" in her vocabulary?

Leann said...

Those are the things that memories are made of.

Brianna said...

This is very cute! My dad used to take me to get coffee when I was about Spike's age. My "coffee" was hot chocolate with about a tablespoon of coffee in it.