Sunday, October 11, 2009

SAY IT AGAIN

Dear Spike:

You've yet to perfect the pronunciation of the letter 'f,' so when your mother and I asked you where you wanted to go for a hike today, we were having some trouble understanding your answer.

"In the sorest," you said.

"The what?"

"The sorest."

"Um... the source?"

"No, the sorest."

"Can you say it again?"

Finally you grew frustrated and took a long contemplative pause.

"The woods," you finally said. "In the woods."

Even after you perfect your phonemes, there are going to be times in which intellectual, linguistic, social, cultural or technological barriers are going to prevent successful communication with those around you.

There's little in life more important that good communication skills. But faced with the inability to get their point across on the first try, many people just give up.

You, apparently, are not one of those people. And as a result, you're going to have access to a world that few others will.

You're going to see the sorest — and the trees.

Love,
dad

2 comments:

Mae said...

I had work done on my laptop several months ago and all of my bookmarks were removed. I knew most of them so it was no problem to list them again. For some reason, today my mind suddenly shouted "SPIKE"!!!! I found you again and have spent the past couple of hours catching up. OH! How glad am I to fine you, again! My, Spike, how much you have grown.

michelle said...

I love this.

(Dred did the same thing with mixing up F with S.)