Thursday, June 3, 2010

THE BEAUTIFUL GAME



Dear Spike:

I would like to allow you to choose your own path.

So if you love to dance, please dance.

And if you love math, by all means, solve the Goldbach Conjecture.

And if want to do Kung-Fu, go ahead and kick butt.

Likewise, if you don't like spinach, I'll only make you try it — I won't shove it down your throat.

And if you don't like baseball, I won't make you swing for the fences.

And if you don't like the snow, I won't make you ski.

And if you don't like soccer...

... I think we're going to have some issues.

I love the beautiful game. I love to play it. I love to watch it. I love to talk about it.

And, since the moment we learned you were coming, I've loved to dream about watching you play it.

Today, that dream came true. You had your very first soccer practice. And, if I do say so myself, you played like a champ.

With seven days to go before World Cup 2010 begins in South Africa, I'm afraid it might be a bit too late to make the U.S. team.

But with four years until the next cup, in Brazil, I think there's plenty of time.

No pressure.

Love,
dad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take that Pele, indeed!

I don't think I could knock over that cone even if I used my foot to kick it over. And she never gave up...what a champ!

Gaky

Anonymous said...

Er, something tells me that was maybe just her 1st "organized practice". Those other kids won't have a chance with you having her attack the net in the backyard every night!!

Way to go Spike!!!

Love you,
Uncle Papa

Darlene said...

A champ in the making, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

Although I've been visiting for years, I don't think I've commented on your blog before. But I thought I would "delurk" to say: Go Spike!!

To Spike's Dad... enjoy the beautiful game in our beautiful country!

Hope team USA does you proud!