Thursday, June 7, 2007

LITTLE NOCTURNAL ONE


Dear Spike:

You slept for hours in my arms today. These days, that’s a mixed blessing. For all the joy I get from watching you rest, I know that every minute you spend sleeping during the day is a minute you likely won’t sleep tonight.

And when you don’t sleep, we don’t sleep.

Alas, there are far worse fates than staying up late watching Star Wars with your daughter. Maybe a little popcorn. Maybe a little pizza. Chocolate milk for me. Mommy’s milk for you. A little Internet surfing. A little song singing. Maybe a stroll around the house together, then back to the rocking chair.

Come to think of it, I’m not sure there is anything in the world I enjoy more.

Now, admittedly, our slumber parties haven't done wonders for my game at work. But I’ve got the rest of my life to work — we’ve only a very short time to share these nights together.

And so, my little nocturnal one, sleep all day if you wish.

Our nights await.

Love,
dad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of people complain about the lack of sleep. But someone once told me that it was the time they cherished most. A quiet house. No distractions. No other people bothering you. Just you and the baby. I think that's beautiful.
Jess

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the ol' mixup of night and day. Our pediatrician had fabulous sleep advice for us and we have been using it with great success since Michael was a wee babe. During the day when she naps, don't put her in a dark, quiet place. Leave her out where it's light with usual daytime noises (TV, phone, conversations, etc.). The theory is that even though her eyes will be closed, she'll still be getting daylight through them and will understand that it's "day." Then, at night, put her in a quiet, dark place ("night"). If you awaken with her in the middle of the night, try not to be too interesting. Give her as little stimulation as possible, so she'll think, "this is boring. I'm going back to sleep."

A little unsolicited advice. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I love all the new baby pics you've had up lately. She is so adorable!

BTW, Carole beat me to the unsolicited advice and it was the same that I was going to give. The less fun it is at night, the easier it is to get them back to sleep.

Oh, co-sleeping makes nursing and sleeping (for everyone) SO much easier. Seriously, if you aren't already doing it, don't believe all the scary stories. It's safer than they make it sound.

Kip said...

I found your site from my friend, Linda, and am so glad! Love your writing style and wasn't surprised you were a newsman. Spike is adorable and I'm so happy she's doing well. You are a marvel of a Dad!

Kip