Saturday, October 20, 2007

THE WHOLE BOWL



Dear Spike:

There’s plenty great about being an American.

Freedom. Democracy. The Bill of Rights. And so on an so forth. Yada yada yada.

You know what I like best about being an American?

The food.

Not the American food — although, truly, there is little better than a thick and juicy bacon cheeseburger or a hot and sloppy chili dog.

No, if there’s something wonderful about being the most multicultural nation in the history of the world, it’s the diversity and availability of food from every nook and cranny on the globe.

Salt Lake City is by no stretch of the imagination the food capital of this country, but within four blocks of our home we have access to Lebanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, Hawaiian, Italian, Brazilian and four or five different kinds of Mexican food. If you wanted, you could eat the regional food of a different country every single day for a month and never have to leave the city limits.

I’ve traveled around a bit. And yes, the tacos are better in Puerto Vallarta. The schnitzel is better in Saarbruken. The tapas are better in Madrid.

Actually, that last part is a lie. The tapas sucked in Madrid. I mean, really, anchovies and raisins on white bread? What the hell is that? True story: Your mother and I found it difficult to find food we liked in Spain. On the second night of our honeymoon, we went to a Spanish buffet that boasted 100 items on the menu. “Great,” I said. “We’ll find the items we like and we can order those for the rest of the trip.” Ninety-nine items later (neither of us were brave enough to try the sheep brains) we were still hungry. So the next day we decided to follow the locals. And they led us to McDonald’s.

But the gastronomic circle of hell that is the city of Madrid not withstanding, it stands to reason that if you’re looking for the best Italian food in the world, it might be best to go to Rome.

But if you’re looking for the second-best Italian food? Or the second best Cambodian food? Or the second best Greek food? And you want to find them all within a few minutes of one another? This is the place, my darling.

I’ve been thinking a lot about food because you had your very first meal of rice cereal today.

Dr. Schriewer told us that we would know when you were ready to eat when you started paying special interest to us when we were eating. We thought those instructions were a bit vague because you seem to pay close attention to everything we do.

But sure enough, just yesterday as we were eating dinner, you began watching every biteful of food that went from my fork to my mouth. A few minutes later, when you began making chewing movements with your mouth, we understood what Dr. Schriewer had meant.

So this morning we headed to the store to purchase some baby-sized spoons (we already had the box of rice cereal on hand — an impulse buy from a few weeks ago.) And this afternoon, with your great grandparents on hand as witnesses, your mother scooped up a little cereal and gave you your very first mouthful of something other than breast milk.

At first you squirmed and spit up — but then you really seemed to get the hang of it. We all took turns shoveling rice cereal into your adorable little mouth. You ate the whole bowl.

I really liked the determination I saw in you today. It was strange at first, but you stuck to it. And ultimately, I think, you got to liking it.

I hope that becomes a habit for you.

It’s amazing what diversity there is in what different groups of our species considers food. Some of us eat sheep brains, others consume ants. Some enjoy snails and others dine on pig intestines.

There are even groups of people who eat dirt. (The practice is called geophagy, not to be confused with geology, which is the study of dirt.)

I’ve chowed down on Guinea Pig, rattlesnake, muskrat, alligator and camel. I’ve eaten seaweed, dried squid and pickled bok choy.

I didn’t like all of it, but I’m glad I tried it.

You don’t have to try everything, but I’d encourage you to try as much as you can possibly bring your stomach to try. There’s a whole wide world out there — but, if you're willing, you won't have to go far to taste it.

Love,
dad

This video is also on YouTube.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved that video. I also really enjoy reading about your adventures the first time around as parents. I look back no my own first days, finding it hard to feel "seasoned" with my six children. Twelve years of parenting and I'm still finding lost of firsts.

Just a hint for that cereal mixing (from my own experinces): if you are mixing the cereal with breastmilk it will be much thinner than if you mix it with formula. I have breastfed all of mine, but when I first fed the cereal I noticed how thin it was with the breastmilk and it didn't seem to matter how much cereal I added-it just kept getting thin. A bit of reading soon taught me that the natural enzymes and such in breastmilk will aid in the process of digestion. All my kiddos seemed particularly fond of the 2:1 ratio of cereal to milk. Experiment; she's definitely one to let you know how she likes it. Some times directions really are just suggestions. ;)

Also, when she's ready buy some YoBaby cultured yogurt and mix in two tablespoons to the yogurt and I bet she sucks it down faster than you can mix it. To this day my almost one year old will eat that even when I can't get him to eat anything else. He's had the Measles all this week and he has been surviving on nursing, his YoBaby favorites, and lots of hugs.

Sorry for the long comment.

www.dearspike.com said...

Cool, thanks for the suggestions!
— Spike's Dad & Spike's Mom

Anonymous said...

Cute video! Thanks for sharing the first bowl with us all. I'm quite jealous of Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa but so happy that they got to be there for it.
Yep, she's ready for the yummies.

Grandma L

Fahrenheit519 said...

It is so cool to see Spike and Spike's Mom in action! Your wife is adorable. You're a lucky guy.

I have heard the food in Spain is AWFUL from just about everyone. Just......funky. That made me laugh.

Glad to see the fam growing & happy.

Cheers,

F519

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Spike likes to eat. We are not so lucky. The only things Michael will willingly eat are bananas, pickles, and butterscotch pudding.

Anonymous said...

I'm confused by your wife's voice. Is she drunk? When she said: "She wanted to eat also," it sounded like "She wuinda eat also." What's with the slurring? There were other episodes of non-standard diction in the clip as well.