Tuesday, March 18, 2008

FINE BOOKSTORES EVERYWHERE


Dear Spike:

I’ve avoided mentioning it, so far, because I know how these things work.

In the movie business, it’s called the cutting room floor. In the sports world it’s called getting cut from the team. In the publishing industry, I suppose, it’s just called “the edit.”

But today I received in the mail a clean, crisp check and a copy of a signed contract, so I suppose it’s safe to assume that you and I are about to find ourselves in fine bookstores everywhere — and between hard covers, no less.

I get published nearly every day, of course, but as newspaper journalism is about as ephemeral an exercise as has ever existed, this experience feels just a little bit different to me. And I guess, more than anything, it was simply a very nice compliment to have been asked to contribute to a book about fatherhood.

Truth be told, of course, I didn’t feel I had much to contribute. After all, you hadn’t even yet arrived when this whole thing was proposed to me. And even after I began writing, shortly after you were born, I felt nothing that remotely seemed like being qualified for the task of being a father — much less the task of writing about being a father.

But then, who ever has been? I mean, there’s not exactly a handbook for being a good dad — everyone is pretty much just left to figure it out on their own.

And I suppose that’s kind of the point of “Things I Learned About My Dad (In Therapy,)” which is edited by Heather B. Armstrong, a fellow Salt Lake City inmate who writes an endearingly funny and exceptionally popular blog called “Dooce.” The book features Heather and a bunch of other bloggers in (and here I quote from the promotional materials) “a unique, no-holds-barred glimpse into the quirks and candid moments of modern dads.”

It goes on sale in late April and, on that day, I thought you and I could sneak into the local bookstore early, buy all the available copies, then return later and make a big, loud, stinky ordeal about how disappointed we are that the book was ALREADY SOLD OUT.

I suppose that wouldn’t be a very good fatherly lesson for you. But then, you know, there’s not exactly a handbook for being a good dad.

And it sure would be fun.

Love,
Dad

Dear Spike’s friends:
Should you so desire, you can order the book here,here,here,here and here.
Love, Spike’s Dad

9 comments:

Resim said...

Congratulations on the book coming out and being a contributor! I'm definitely going to check it out. You're right - there's no manual on how to be a good dad. Dads don't read manuals anyway though, right? We're better at just winging it! -Jeremy @ Discovering Dad

Anonymous said...

i had no idea you were part of that! congrats! -catherine

Shanda Mattsson said...

I didn't know you were doing that! That is really awesome. I love reading your blog to "Spike" and reading about what you guys are doing! I have told a lot of people that you are such a great writer - very talented! I dont have kids yet and I am female, but I will definitely buy your book and read it! We should throw a celebration party for you!! I will talk to Heidi :)

Congrats!!

Shanda Mattsson said...

What day does it get released?

And by the way, I love the slide show you added on the sidebar! Mia is so cute!

Shanda Mattsson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I will require my copy be signed. By both of you. See you in a week!

Hugs,
K

Anonymous said...

Mine was preordered long ago. Can't wait!

mesfox said...

I'm bugging the local librarian to pick up a couple copies! Way to go!

mesfox said...

I have "special contacts" with the library. It worked. The book is being ordered here in Grand Rapids!