Monday, April 28, 2008

A FEW OUNCES

Dear Spike:

Fourteen pounds.

For all our hopes, you didn't put on more than a few ounces over the past month. And so, alas, you remain a very small child. Still tiny but tough.

But given the start you had, you ain't done half bad for yourself. At 11 months, most babies weigh about two-and-a-half times what they weighed at birth. You're more than three times bigger than you were when you arrived.

I credit your mother's patience and persistence.

The past week has been tough on her, though. You've stopped showing any interest in breastfeeding. Kicked the habit cold turkey, you did. I'll never be able to understand bond that forms during nursing, of course, but I can see very clearly what it has meant to your mother over the past 11 months. And I also can see how sad she has been over losing that connection to you.

There's little I can do but be supportive, I suppose. And so I just keep reminding her what an amazing job she's done with you, quite litterally nursing you to health after such a scrawny little start.

I couldn't be prouder of either of you.

Nope. Couldn't be.

Love,
dad

1 comment:

Sarah C. said...

Stopping Breastfeeding is a very big deal for Moms, much more so than you would expect. When I stopped after 6 months, I felt like she was "torn" from me and that we were somehow disconnected. I think the sadness is also partly due to those damn hormones and the fact that this is the first step a baby takes on their own, out in the real world and its also the first time that they are actually not "attached" to you in some way or anohter since pre-pregnancy! its hard but it helps to know that she has had the best start in life possible!