Wednesday, May 14, 2008

OF BLUSTERY DAYS

Dear Spike:

I'm taking this week and the next off to spend time with you before your first birthday, and hopefully to finish the book I started writing for you before Christmas.

It was supposed to be sunny this week. And I was looking forward to spending most of my vacation with you outside, working in the yard, walking in the park and hiking in the canyons. So far, though, it has been a series of blustery days. And so we sit, by the window, watching wave after wave of thick, gray clouds roll overhead.

This isn't prohibitive, of course. When your mother and I lived in Oregon we never let a gray day disturb our plans (lest we do nothing at all!) And likewise, this afternoon, rain or shine, you and I will venture out for a hike.

Still, I am hoping for a warm and sunny day. The better to see the spring flowers on the hillside. The better to inspire me for when we do return indoors and I write as you sleep.

And as you sleep, the better to inspire your dreams.

Love,
dad

1 comment:

mesfox said...

We get plenty of those here in Michigan, too.... I find they are the perfect days to reacquaint ourselves with the library or explore a new library in the area..... Then we'll have a good book or two when the sun pops out!