Monday, June 9, 2008

IN MANY YEARS

Dear Spike:

Yesterday was my 30th birthday. We celebrated with a hike up Emmigration Canyon, to a place your mother and I call "Little Korea" for its striking resemblance to the outdoor set from the M*A*S*H movie and television series. You hadn't taken a nap before we left, and got a bit crabby just about a half-mile into the hike. And so, as we walked, your mother and I sang to you one of your favorite lullabies, "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon," and soon you were asleep.

I've been dreading this birthday. Back in my parents' day, they used to say you couldn't trust people over the age of 30. These days, they say 30 is the new 20 — but it still felt 30 to me.

But now the day has come and gone and it really wasn't so bad. I spent a wonderful day with you and your mother. And later we saw our friends Rob and Sue, and Gus and Emily. Emily gave you your first-ever Girl Scout cookie, and like the rest of America, you now appear to be hopelessly addicted. There's heroin in those Thin Mints, of this I am quite confident.

In many ways, being a dad has made me feel my age. I think much more these days about things like health insurance, making smart car purchases and buying healthy food. I drive slower. I drink less. And yes, I groan more.

Yet at the same time I feel much younger than I have in many years. I'm less cynical. I strive to be more kind. And I sing and whistle and dance and play more than I have in a long, long time.

There was a time when you would never have found me walking hand-in-hand with your mother in the mountains, singing as though I was a member of the VonTrapp family, completely unconcerned about whether or not anyone else could hear. But things are different now.

They're better.

And as for 30, I think I'll be OK.

Love,
dad

7 comments:

Darren said...

Happy birthday. Thirty isn't bad at all...wait ten years.

ATenorio said...

happy birthday! i spent entirely too much time reading your blog last night. very endearing. spike is a lucky little girl :)

Shanda Mattsson said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Matt, happy birthday to you!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the heroin in the Girl Scout cookie thing. One bite and you are addicted for life!

Traci said...

So true. I used to say, "who would have thought that once I became a mom, I would push a grocery cart through the store stomping my feet just to hear my baby girl giggle?" You just don't care. They're worth the embarassment.

imagoii said...

Happy Belated Birthday. Isn't it amazing how our days (birthdays or not) are so much more now that we are enjoying our babies? Totally with you on the thin mints ... and the not worrying about what people think about me when I'm out with my girl! Watching that big grin and hearing those funny noises is worth every odd look! ... and then there is the occasional comment to my daughter ... that isn't she lucky to have such a fun mom ... LOL!

Cheryl said...

Matt,

As I approach my 50th birthday (August 20th ironically) I struggle to understand what that means. In my head I am still 17. I'm always shocked when I see the old lady looking back at me in the mirror. I shudder when I see someone I consider OLD and find out they are my age or younger. ARG. Age, I'm convinced is a state of mind and my state is denial.

Happy B-lated birthday. Sounds like you had a lovely day.