Monday, July 6, 2009

PICTURES DON'T LIE

Dear Spike:

From one day to the next, you look and seem the same to me. I know that you're growing bigger and bigger, smarter and smarter, but I cannot see it.

But, as they say, pictures don't lie. And the ones your mother shared with me recently told a thousand words about how you've grown over the past year.

In the first, taken just after your first birthday, you walk through a narrow waterpark stream aided by your grandmother's hand. You're cautious, feet fixed in the water and weight low to the ground. Your hair is soft, short and swept to the side.


In the second, taken just after your second birthday, you navigate the same stream all alone. You're confident, tip-toeing through the water with carefree abandon. Your hair is set up in pig tails.


My how you've grown. My how you have changed. I can only imagine what next year's photos might reveal.

But I'm happy to wait to find out.

I love this moment in your life, just as I did the last. And I am savoring every moment.

And taking lots of photos.

Love,
dad

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thank you for sharing these photos. I wish I had been better about capturing these kinds of moments when my little ones were small.

PS, what is Spikes name today?

mesfox said...

I remembet that first photo - last summer. My kids still talk about it. In fact, we're planning a chicken coop in the back yard - Emma wants it like yours!

Leah said...

My real question is: will she be able to wear that same swimsuit in year 3?