Friday, July 3, 2009

YOUR REAL NAME

Dear Spike:

Last week, inexplicably, you demanded that we start calling you by your real name...

...

...

... Banana Dog.

"Banana Dog?" you mother asked.

"Uh huh, Banana Dog," you replied.

"Um, OK. Hello Banana Dog," she said.

"That's right!" you beamed.

This morning, you decided, you needed a new name.

"I'm Walrus the Fob," you explained.

"Um, OK," I said. "Good morning Walrus the Fob."

"Good morning, daddy," you replied.

I think I like this.

Love,
Buck Duck Brahma

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to think you embellish your stories a little bit... no child could be that cute and creative.

Could she?

Maggie in Phila

Anonymous said...

How is it possible that I can miss little Walrus Fob so much, when it's only been a week? Perhaps it's because she becomes more delightful every day, changing quickly from Banana Dog to Walrus Fob. And I'm missing it all!

Gaky

www.dearspike.com said...

Hi Maggie:

I'm as prone to embellishment as any father, but as I keep this blog in part as a record so that Spike will know about her first years, I try to make my descriptions of her words and actions as accurate as possible.

Alas, she is indeed that cute.

Name update: She's still identifying herself as Walrus Fob and, increasingly, Walrus Fobby, even though Spike's mom and I generally agree that we liked Banana Dog better.

- spike's dad

Brianna said...

There's a young adult book called "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli about a teen girl who changes her name to unusual things (like "Stargirl). It's one of my favorite books ever. Maybe that's how Spike will be as a teenager.

-Brianna

P.S. I heard Jimmy wanted to start up the old soccer team; I'll stop by the Trib this week and find out the details.

Anonymous said...

that. is. awesome.
Sarah