Thursday, September 23, 2010

IN REAL TIME

Dear Spike:

I parted ways with you and your mother this morning at the airport with a few good hugs and, fortunately for me, no tears from you.

You know I'm going on a trip — and that I'll be gone for a while — but you're excited about all the fun you're going to be having with your mother while I'm gone, so you weren't too sad to see me go.

And that's fine with me. Preferable, in fact. My heart strings are already pulled taut.

Now I'm on an airplane headed to Atlanta. From there it's off to Paris. From Paris, Amman. And after a night in Amman, I'll head over to Iraq.

It's sort of amazing, if you think of it. We live in a world in which you can wake up on one side of the world and go to sleep on the other. It's also a time in which, without too much hassle, I can flip open my computer and see you staring back at me, in real time.

It wasn't so long ago that nothing like that was possible. And that makes me wonder about all of the innovations you'll see during your life. For what once seemed impossible yesterday is a simple matter of routine today. So it stands to reason that what seems impossible today will be more or less commonplace tomorrow.

Let's hope it's all for the better.

Love,
dad

5 comments:

Meeshemama said...

Be safe!

Anonymous said...

I love you and I'm praying for you.

Mom

Leann said...

Stay safe.

Jeff Key said...

Tell the Iraqis I said hello and I'm sorry for the trouble I helped cause. What I did, I did out of a sense of duty and because I really did think we were there to make their country a better place. I think that's what a lot of us thought.

Perfect Helen said...

Taking into account the fact that this blog is dedicated to buying things for kids so I just would like to ask opinions of experienced parents what they think about such educational iPhone game as Kinder Hangman – http://sharkfuel.com/kinderhangman.html I am currently preparing my children for school. Is this game really so helpful for developing a vocabulary of kids? I am a mother myself, so just would like to know if this game can help me repare kids for school? Any ideas? Your opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks.