Friday, November 10, 2006

A LITTLE CIRCLE



Dear Spike:

Your mom and I thought there might be something wrong this week. She wasn’t feeling well and was having some other problems, the nature of which led us to believe you might not be well, either.

So as Dr. Stewart held the tiny probe over your mom’s stomach, sweeping it back and forth through a mess of blue goo, I stood breathless and listened for the sound of your heartbeat to come over the small receiver the doctor held in her other hand.

The speaker hummed and crackled. At times it sounded like an old transistor radio I had when I was very young, with which I would sometimes tune into baseball games and music shows, mostly late at night when I could not sleep.

We could hear your mom’s heart. And some gurgling sounds coming from her stomach.

But alas, the rapid drumming we were told to expect from you was not there.

Dr. Stewart told us it might take a while — your heart is so very tiny, after all — but as she moved the machine back and forth and back and forth, the expression on her face turned from interest, to determination, to concern. And finally, she gave up.

“Go over into the next room and I’ll be right there,” she said.

Your mom changed back into her clothes, I picked up her shoes and we moved to a small room, across the hall, with an ultrasound machine. And there we waited.

Maybe it was 10 minutes, but it seemed like hours.

“Is everything OK?” your mother asked me.

“Sure,” I said. “Everything is fine.”

Not that I knew that. And not that I felt it. I was scared. For you and for your mother. And for me.

I’ve never wanted something so badly as I want you. And so this week has been very difficult. I’ve fallen in love with you. Your mom has, too. I couldn’t fathom letting you go. Yet I knew that it was a possibility. And as we sat quietly in the ultrasound room, that possibility seemed so real.

Dr. Stewart walked into the room and flipped on the machine. She began to search for you again. And again, she was having trouble. The screen was a mess of gray and white and black splotches. The doctor could pick out features in it — your mom’s hip bones, her bladder — but she couldn’t find you.

I don’t pray in times of concern. I figure that, since I don’t spend much time talking to God when things are going well, it’s a bit disingenuous to do so when things are not. So I simply took a deep breath and, behind my back, crossed my fingers.

A few moments later, a small black splotch appeared on the screen. And then, briefly, an even smaller white line.

“Where you see bright white, that’s bone,” Dr. Stewart said.

The tiny white line, she said, was your jawbone. Other than a few tests, it was the first real evidence we had that you were really in there. My eyes watered over. A little white line. The most beautiful thing I’d ever seen.

The feeling only lasted a moment or two. As quick as the line had appeared on the screen, it disappeared. We still hadn’t seen your heart.

The doctor kept searching. I could hear my own heart beating. And I could see you mother’s pulse quicken in the veins on her neck. I stared at the screen. I didn’t blink.

And then it appeared. I knew even before the doctor said so. Just a little circle, fluttering in a swirling cloud of gray and white. The new most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. I wiped a tear from the corner of my eye and leaned over to kiss your mother on the forehead. I’d not seen her smile so big and bright since our wedding day.

I uncrossed my fingers and closed my eyes — just for a moment. “Thank you,” I whispered and opened my eyes to see the doctor point out your head, your chest and your arms on the screen. You did a few somersaults and wiggled your body. And then you disappeared into the swirling clouds again.

I couldn’t stop smiling that night. Neither could your mom. We feared we had lost you. And then we found you.

And even though I hasn’t asked, someone, somewhere has blessed us.

Thank God.

Love,
dad

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad all is well. I heard somewhere that once you become a parent it is like wearing your heart outside your body. I had a similar moment a few months ago when we had a momentary worry that we could lose the baby (thankfully it turned out to be nothing). It was also when I saw our son on that ultrasound screen for the first time, curling up his little toes and sucking his thumb. In that moment my heart broke and I knew that I would lay down my life, right then and there, if only everything could be okay for him.

At any rate, I'm glad everyone is safe and sound. And don't be discouraged by those Doppler devices they use to find baby's heartbeat; it is probably still a bit too early to hear Spike's heartbeat with one. Send my best to Heidi.

Anonymous said...

Am I glad that I didn't know anything was wrong? Yes and no.
We too, are in love with Spike. Grandpa and I talk about her all the time. Last night's conversation was about visiting. Will we be able to come as soon as Spike is born? How often can we get by with coming after he arrives? We want Spike to know us. How precious little lives are. How scary to think that this little life that we have all fallen in love with, could be in danger. Since I talk to God all the time, I don't have any problem at all begging for what I want when I'm scared. "Lord, please protect Spike and give comfort and peace to Heidi and Matt."
Grandma L

Unknown said...

I had my heart in my throat reading this because I went through a similar experience early on in my pregnancy.
( I wrote about it here http://pimsplace.blogspot.com/2006/02/living-for-today.html )

When you said you kissed your wife on the forehead I could actually feel the empty hole in my heart, which was left there from going through it alone, fill up just a tiny bit. Thank you for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know there are many prayers being said for Spike.
HE listens no matter when you pray.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I stumbled upon your blog. I haven't read it all (the beginning and most recent mostly), but it's great reading and a great blog.

Good luck. I think Spike's in good hands.