Sunday, November 5, 2006

NO LESS BRUTISH

Dear Spike:

I recognize many parents have despaired over the world their children will be born into. Indeed, at times, this planet must have seemed as dark and foreboding as could be.

I can only imagine what an expecting father must have felt like during the mid-14th Century, a time when a great plague swept over Europe, killing every third person. The dread and hopelessness must have been overwhelming.

In the Great Depression of the 1920s and 30s, a period when much of the planet was suffering under economic strife, those expecting children must have been so distraught at the notion that their troubles may afflict their ability to provide basic, life-giving necessities for their future child.

And I cannot so much as pretend to understand the depth of misery and fear a Japanese father-to-be would have had in August, 1945, as two cities in his nation were destroyed in atomic explosions.

I cannot compare my personal consternation to that of parents who have come before me. Their challenges, as parents, were no doubt greater than mine will be.

But the challenges that you will face — that everyone of your generation will face — will be no less vast, no less important, and no less seemingly insurmountable. For the world my generation and past generations has created for you is no less brutish today than it has been at any time in history — and indeed, it may be more so.

Our species has the capacity for such beauty and goodness. We’ve put men in space and defeated many diseases. We’ve learned to see things that happened billions of years ago and predict things that will occur billions of years from now. But we war as if we do not expect to live a moment longer and do harm to our planet as if we do not expect our children to live long, either.

I wish I could be welcoming you to this world with a greater legacy. But it is our great, collective shame that the problems we’ve created will fall upon you and your brothers and sisters to solve.

Our species survived the challenges I mentioned before. I do not have great confidence that we will survive the challenges we now face.

And yet, for you, I want nothing more.

Love,
dad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the movies I love to watch says 'love should end with Hope.' I truly believe it does. It is disheartening to see the state of this world, and scary not knowing what is going to happen in the next 50 years, let alone the next 2, but good things are happening even still we just have to keep hoping. I have no children of my own, so I could never speak as an expecting parent, but being married to a man that serves in the military I have been asked how I feel about bringing children in to this world. I have to say I would agree with you, becoming a parent is always scary. I don't believe anyone could describe it as well as you. But we must have hope in the ability of parents. People like you and your wife that are going to be so dedicated in guiding another human on their journey, to discover the person they will be, will never be shaken over the status of this earth. I believe the most amazing people are a result of trying times. I have hope in the wonderful things this world has to offer, and I have hope that wonderful people will continue to influence it. Not people that are in the lime light, but the people that do small things daily, that change the way we view things forever. I met a woman at work who has one of the most amazing life stories I have ever heard. She lived more then most by age 7; she was living in an orphanage in Japan and got the opportunity to go to the zoo. She got on the bus, and fell asleep. She missed the zoo and woke up at the bus station, when the driver was done with his shift. She began to cry and he went in and talked to his supervisor, he returned to the bus and drove another shift so that he could take her back to the orphanage. When he got there, she handed him her bus ticket and he let her keep it. She told me this was the first time someone had ever been truly nice to her. He changed her forever. Our ‘wonderful world’ stories do not always have to be this heavy, but I was trying to support my point . I am not a very good writer…I am more of a reader…I guess I just want to say Spike with great challenges comes great hope, always protect that hope.

Anonymous said...

We simply must shield them from the horrors of the world as long as we can.

How is Heidi feeling?