Sunday, May 20, 2007

ABOUT THAT DATE

Dear Spike:

My friends — who will gamble on pretty much anything — have begun to place bets on your arrival.

Your mom’s in on the action too. She’s convinced that you’ll be coming a few days after the next full moon, so she has picked June 1.

I’m still hoping you’ll be a few days late, so that we can share a birthday. So I’ve got my money on June 8.

I’ve actually grown quite hopeful about that date (and not just because there’s cash riding on it now.) It’s gotten to the point that your mother has begun to grow a bit worried.

“OK, let’s pretend it’s June 7,” she suggested the other day. “It’s five minutes to midnight and the baby’s head is crowning. Do you ask me to stop pushing for a few minutes?”

“The better question is this...” I replied. “... let’s say it’s June 8, five minutes to midnight and the baby’s not anywhere near coming. Do I ask the doctor to get out a knife?”

Love,
dad

Dear Spike’s friends:
It’s only fair that everyone should get in on the action. Comment below to pick the date and hour you think Spike will arrive.
I’ve got dibs on June 8, 6 a.m. to 7 a.m.
Spike’s mom has chosen June 1, 10 p.m. to 11 p.m.
First come, first serve. Winner gets a trip to Salt Lake City, all expenses paid, to meet Spike.
OK, not really. Winner gets a photo. Or something else I can actually afford.
Love,
Spike’s dad

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Spikes Maternal Grandmother and also a June B'day. I will pick June 11.(Sorry Mom but I think she wants to stay in to make Grandma happy) With that said I pick June 11 at 6lbs 9oz 4:30am

Anonymous said...

I predict Spike will arrive on June 7th just as the sun is rising on Freedom of the Press Day because Spike supports her daddy 100%. Good girl, Spike! Love, Katie

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I pick June 3rd, between 2 and 3 pm.

Anonymous said...

I pick June 2nd between 9 and 10 pm
and I'm guessing Spike will be little like his mom and dad...6lb 7 oz.
Dad picks Matt's birthday and time
June 8, 6-7:00pm

Grandma L

Anonymous said...

Hey it's Troy. I've got my dibs on an early arrival, as in May 31. Spike will be born during the same hour as the O'Reilly Factor. And she'll come into the world with her middle finger raised. Think that isn't possible? Let me send you the first picture that was ever taken of my niece ...

Anonymous said...

Late, late, late. First babies always come late. I'm saying June 9th between 7 and 8 am.

Darren said...

I'll take June 6 at 8 a.m. Not for any reason, I just picked randomly.

And if Spike is coming at five minutes to midnight on any date, tell the wife to hold on. You get an extra day at the hospital that way. Clare was born at 11:48 p.m. and it was considered the first day--we were sent on our way just over a day later.

deanna said...

Hello! Just an internet lurker checking in here to send excited good wishes for Spike's imminent arrival! Though it's oddly awesome to share a birthday with someone, my husband and his sister say they would still rather have had that special day in full ownership. So, how about betting Spike will show up on June 5th instead of the 8th, which I'm thinking would be lots more fun anyway as it allows for a full WEEK of festivities! Yep---I'm going with June 5th, mid-morning, say, 9-10am. Best wishes!

Liz Martin said...

Hmmmm...let's go out there to middle-of-the-night: I've got dibs on...

June 9 - 2am-3am

And oh yeah...a few years back there was that story going around about the Trio's Roasted Garlic-Mushroom-Chicken Pizza inducing labor. I know people who swear by it, and it even made the snopes urban legend page: http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/overdue.asp

Unknown said...

I'm going with June 10, 11 p.m. - midnight.

(Also, I would like to pay my own expenses for a trip to see Spike. Is the end of June too soon, or just right? I am SUPER helpful with babies as I've been around them my whole life!)

I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

If she can manage it,
June 5 at 2:34 would make for a lovely sequence of numbers: 2:34 on 5/6/7 (using the European date).