Thursday, May 17, 2007

AGAIN AND AGAIN

Dear Spike:

Your mother and I sat in bed, two nights ago, as I dug out from under an avalanche of e-mails from people who think I should get a new job.

A small selection from their musings:

“You must be the stupidest man on Earth. ”

“You’re unethical, immoral and disgusting. ”

“Your mother is probably ashamed of you.”

Your mom read over my shoulder and winced as I typed out my responses.

“Thank you for your letter,” I replied — again and again and again and again.

“But they’re wrong,” she protested. “Why don’t you tell them how they’re wrong? How can you just sit there and let them say such horrible things to you?”

•••

Last night, a Fox News commentator named Bill O’Reilly decided I was a scum bag.

“We have no respect for him.,” O’Reilly said on his television program. “I believe this man is an ideologue... he shouldn't be working in any major newspaper.”

When I arrived at work this morning, a friend pulled me aside. “That guy is so wrong,” he said. “How can you just sit there and let him say such awful things about you on national television?”

•••

Growing up in Sunday school, I was always troubled by Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount — and by one passage in particular: “If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the left one also.”

In my mind, this verse was always tied to other parts of the sermon — “blessed are the week... blessed are the poor... blessed are the peacemakers” — parts that suggested to me that Christ wanted his followers to be wimps. And heck, that seemed to make sense. I mean, the guy Christians like to call the King of Kings didn’t exactly run roughshod over the Romans.

But all these years later, I think I finally get it.

When most people get hit, they fall. Or they cower. Or they run.

But picture someone who doesn’t do any of those things, someone who doesn’t even fight back.

Picture someone who just stands there and offers to let his attacker have another shot.

•••

It’s not always easy to stand on principle, lest of all when people are calling you names and calling you out.

Sometimes, it’s simpler just to fight back. You can say hateful things. You can make terrible allegations. You can hit back and kick back and spit back. And there may indeed be a time and a place for all of that.

But before you decide you must fight, consider who you are fighting. Consider whether you can win. Consider what you are fighting for.

And then consider whether the better option is simply to recognize that you don’t need to fight at all.

I’m not stupid. I’m not unethical, immoral or disgusting. And my mother? She likes me just fine.

And for me, this week, that has been enough. I don’t have to prove anyone is wrong about me. I’m content to know they are wrong about me.

So go ahead. Hit me again.

Love,
dad

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading this blog for a few weeks now, and all of your posts have been beautiful and thought-provoking, but this one is my favourite. Whenever people criticise me, I always feel the need to defend myself and prove they're wrong. In the end, they don't want to listen to me, and I just end up more upset and angry. The attitude you're taking is amazing, and I really don't know how you can do it, but it's so much better than my way! It's so hard not to be upset by such hurtful comments from people, but it shows great strength of character to do what you're doing. I hope your daughter will be as inspired by this as I am.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe how much this has been blown out of proportion. I don't understand why Bill O'Reilly had such horrible things to say about you, but I've never watched/listened to his show before, so maybe that's just what he does...
I have to admit (while ducking) that I'm for the mot part a Dr. Laura fan simply because she has the balls to tell people to get off their asses and take accountability for the bad choices they make, and to be the change that they want in their lives rather than waiting for the government or the people around them to do it for them. BUT, I know that her comments are always taken out of context, and that she should be used to that by now. I don't get why your story in particular is getting so much hype, or why you're being made out as some sort of monster. All anyone would have to do is read some of your posts to see that you're not about bitching or moaning or attacking people. I've been reading since Carol linked to your site when you and your wife found out you were pregnant with "Spike", and I've been hooked since day one. I don't always agree with everything you say, but I can't ignore how beautifully you're able to communicate your thoughts. I'm eternally jealous. ;) You've written some of the most thought provoking and touching things I've read on the web, and I'm glad you're not letting this Dr. Laura episode detract from it all.
I am glad she at least acknowledged that you're being a gentleman about the whole fiasco, and not getting into a yelling match. If only O'Reilly would do the same.

imagoii said...

You are strong and wise. It is so hard to remember that we can't change people - no matter how much screaming is done.
It seems odd to say it - but I am proud of you - and your stance ... and I am heartened to know that there are people in this world like you ... may there be many more who are silent in the face of screaming .. and someday maybe more people will wonder what the quiet person knows that the screamers do not. Take heart ... everything changes .. eventually.

Darren said...

Very good choice to just stand on your own merits and principles. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be nice for every average Joe to be able to claim "taken out of context" like the good doctors and reverends in the public light apparently get to do when someone actually listens to what they say and calls a foul! Can't you see Mr. Average Guy explain to the traffic cop that his speeding was 'taken out of context'?
My thanks to you for your integrity of reporting, and your strength of character to not return thoughtless meanness for thoughtless meanness received.
Spike is blessed to have you for a dad.

Anonymous said...

If I could get both O'Reilly and Dr. Laura pissed at me I would consider it a personal triumph. Good for you for not participating in O'Reilly's pissing match.

Anonymous said...

Not only is your mother not ashamed, not only is she "just fine with you", but she is incredibly proud...as always.


Grandma L

Liz Martin said...

I'm with Carole and Imagoii - - - I'm tickled to have a friend who's being attacked by O'Reilly. You're in some amazing company, Coach.

BTW, it was hard to not say something at the soccer game last night, like, oh, I don't know..."Coach can't be here because Bill O'Reilly is a nutjob?!?!?" Now THAT woulda been fun! Instead of telling them to be fearless cheetahs pouncing on the ball (new age-y affirmations...you knew my style was different than yours ;->) they could be "Bill O'Reilly"s unable to let go of anything...

Anonymous said...

I knew I liked coming here for a reason (other than the excitement of a baby). I bet your editor LOVES you right now. ;-P Well there is no such thing as bad publicity, and "this too shall pass".

You really hit the nail on the head with the translation of "turn the other cheek". It has nothing to do with letting people walk all over you. I used to think that too, but it's about strength. You are truly strong enough to weather this and more.

Trust me, O'Reilly has nothing on what you'll go through as a parent, but what a GREAT story to tell your child later.

Anonymous said...

FYI, my dad is a raging republican and ardent O'Reilly lover and he is on YOUR side. He said he thought O'Reilly was way off the mark on this one.

Also, I cannot find credibility in any individual who labels themselves as "Dr. First-name."

Unknown said...

In light of the bad press Dr. Laura would like for you to have. I thought you might find this link ironic.

http//www.sltrib.com/ci_5934072?1

Not that you need me to tell you, but you did the right thing.