Thursday, May 31, 2007

ALONG THE WAY



Dear Spike:

Somewhere between marveling at your birth and worrying about you as your tiny body struggled to adjust to the world, I forgot to take it all in.

But it’s been a few days now, and I’ve had a real opportunity to process this.

I’m a father.

It’s still a bit early for me to be able to say what that all means. So far I know it means I love you an awful lot — so much that I feel as though my heart has swollen and it is making it difficult for my lungs to breath.

And I think I also understand that your mother and I are now fully responsible for keeping you happy and healthy (the latter, I suppose, is more important, but perhaps not much more.)

I’m pretty sure there are some other things in there too. Something about teaching you to throw a curve ball and showing you how to spit over the side of a bridge. Something about protecting you and being here to hold you when your heart aches. Something about setting a good example and making sure you know The Golden Rule and keeping a loaded shotgun as to run off unacceptable suitors.

Something about valuing independence and yet yearning for community.

Something about wonder. And beauty. And faithfulness. And discipline.

Something about forgiveness. And honesty. And tact.

Something about love.

The details are all a bit hazy. I suppose that’s just how it works. Somewhere inside I know there are some things I need to teach you and to show you.

And then, along the way, I do.

I’m really looking forward to that along-the-way part. Because from here on out, it’s along the way — with you.

I’m glad we get to journey together. I hope I’ll be a good guide.

Love,
dad

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me hold her! :) I'm madly in love; I can't imagine how you and Heidi are feeling (percosets or not). Congratulations!
-catherine

Anonymous said...

I believe the shotgun part is most important! ;)

Eric Devericks said...

Amara was wondering if you could send Mia in the mail to us ? Amara would love to lay some smooches on her teeny tiny face.

Ruth.E said...

That is beautiful. My husband has a stick at the front door to run off unacceptable suitors! It must be a man thing. I loved reading your letters to Spike. Good luck with then next 21 years.
Ruth

Darren said...

I love the spitting over the side of a bridge part. I never thought of teaching Clare that yet.