Monday, September 8, 2008

I SAID IT

Dear Spike:

I think we've discovered a new species of fauna: Porifera verbum: the word sponge.

You've picked up so many new words in the past two weeks, I'm afraid your little head is going to explode like a volcano full of molten dictionary entires. . .

"What's this Spike?" "Pillow!"
"What's that Spike?" "Tail!"
"What's this Spike?" "Chair!"
"What's that Spike?" "Plum!"
"What's this Spike?" "Hat!"
Ka-Boom!


Because you're so quick on the uptake, you mother and I have taken to spelling out almost everything, lest you get too happy, sad, angry or excited about what you hear us talking about. This does, however, have the potential to create certain problems. . .

Mom: "Is Spike going to go to the B-A-B-Y-S-I-T-T-E-R today?"
Dad: "The what?"
Mom: "The B-A-B-Y-S-I-T-T-E-R."
Dad: "Um, slow down a bit."
Mom: "B---A---B---"
Dad: "D?"
Mom: "No B"
Dad: "OK."
Mom: "Y--S--"
Dad: "Y? S? I thought the word started with a B?"
Mom: "It does, I'm starting from the middle."
Dad: "You've lost me... start from the beginning again..."
Mom: "B---A---B---Y---S---I---"
Dad: "Oh! Babysitter."
Spike: "Sitter! Sitter! No! No! No, bye bye! No!"
Dad: "Shit"
Mom: "Hey! Don't say that!"
Dad: Say what?
Mom: "S-H-I-T"
Dad: "Shit?"
Spike: "Shit?"
Dad: "Uh oh."
Mom: "Well that's wonderful."
Dad: "Um... sit! sit! Sit down Spike! Sit!"
Mom: "She's not a dog!"
Spike: "Shit!"
Dad: "Uh fu..."
Mom: "Matt!"
Dad: "I didn't say it! I stopped before I said it!"
Spike: "It! Shit!"
Dad" "Sit!"
Mom: "It's too late"
Dad: "No it's not! Sit, Spike! Sit!"
Mom: "She is not a dog!"
Dad: "Spit?"
Mom: "Oh yeah, that's much better."
Dad: "Grit?"
Spike: "Shit! Shit! Shit!"
Dad: "Bugger!"
Mom: "Great, now you're teaching her to swear in British?"
Dad: "Who cares? We don't live in England."
Mom: "We could someday"
Spike: "Shit!"
Dad: "Bugger!"
Spike: "Bugga!"
Mom: "Oh great, now she can swear in two languages!"
Dad: "Really, it's just one language."
Mom: "Oh crap!"
Spike: "Crap!"


Love,
dad

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for a great visual laugh fest this morning. I could just see & hear that entire conversation..including Spike gleefully saying her freshly learned word.

Shanda Mattsson said...

Thanks for the morning laugh. It was needed today!!

Traci said...

That's good stuff.

Leann said...

Love, love, love it!! Thanks for the cute laugh this morning.

Sarah's Mama said...

I feel your pain. We are spelling everything now with our three year old...she is slowly finding out what we're talking about. "Can you get her ready for B-E-D tonight?" "Bed?! Mom?! NO BED! NOOO DAD!!!"

Zip n Tizzy said...

My cousin took up shouting "horse feathers" after her 3 year old started teaching her 2 year old to say F-ing Sh*t!
Hope that helps ;)

MeesheMama said...

I really want "horse feathers!" to be a common expletive in my house. I can't wait to implement it.

(Your post was wonderful. Thanks for the smiles.)

Little Dude's Mama said...

Holy shit! This is the funniest post you've ever done.

Anonymous said...

I have a similar funny story. My 2-year-old nephew started saying "Fu-" and my sister cut him off and said, "Stop!" And he looked at her and said, "Ck." She said, "Trace! You do not say that word!" He said, "Yes, me did say that word!"

So cute. And terrible.

Anonymous said...

Buh buh bwaaahahahaaa!!!!Mmmust...must get this on tape nnnext time!!! Fwaaaahahahaha!!!