Thursday, October 30, 2008

MY OWN HEART

Dear Spike:

You're a girl after my own heart.

You can't stand to see your mother leave for work in the morning, so usually we try to distract you with books, games or food while she slips out the back door.

But this morning, nothing worked.

"Mama mama mama," you cried.

I made you an omelette. "Eggs?" I asked.

"No no no," you sobbed. "Mama mama mama!"

I brought you to the cat. "Coltrane?" I asked.

"No no no," you screamed. "Mama mama mama!"

I took you to your bookshelf. "Books?" I asked.

"No no no," you wailed. "Mama mama mama!"

I gave up and walked you around the house, patting your back and telling you that she would be home soon. Still, you seemed unconsolable.

"Mama mama mama! Mama mama mama! Mama mama mama!"

"Mama mama mama! Mama mama mama! Mama mama mama!"

"Mama mama mama! Mama mama mama! Mama mama mama!"

Then we walked into our bedroom, past the television and a stack of DVDs.

"Mama mama mama...

...

...

... MASH?"

"MASH? You want to watch MASH?"

"MASH MASH MASH! MASH MASH MASH!"

You're a girl after my own heart.

Love,
dad

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heart this post. :) And the premise of your blog. I've been reading for some time and haven't ever posted a comment. I don't have kids and I'm not married (or even close to it) but I love reading about your daughter and you.

Anonymous said...

Some things are so generationally (is that a word?) ingrained! Spike's great grandparents and grandparents loved M.A.S.H. Spike's dad grew up hearing that familiar theme song and watching the reruns. Spike's mom got to experience MASH from start to finish. And now, I am so thrilled, that our little Spike appreciates one of the best that TV has ever offered.
Gaky

Anonymous said...

How easily I'm replaced. However, I am glad something made you happy. It breaks my heart to go to work when you don't cry. Days like today make it almost impossible to bike to school.

mom

Cheryl said...

I stopped by looking for a Halloween post. This was even better. Love it!

Anonymous said...

adorable little girl!! what's her name?